Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Official Day One...

Of the Kathy Freston 21 Day Wellness Cleanse.

The premise of this cleanse is that by eliminating caffeine, alcohol, gluten, animal products and sugar from my diet; I can REBOOT my life ( the heavens open... the angels sing). The diet part is of course, only one part of the regime. The Cleanse is for Body, Mind AND spirit (if I have any left). She asserts that by clearing my body of chemical and animal toxins, I can clear the slate for healing, happiness and fulfillment.

According to Ms. Freston, some of the changes I can expect to see are:
  • More Energy (some has to be better than none)
  • Clearer Skin and Eyes (not that I spend a tonne of money on skin products... ahem, but I'm looking for that Isabella Rossellini skin)
  • Weight Loss (obv!)
  • Cessation of Certain Aches, Pains and Digestive Ailments (insert mother-in-law joke here)
  • Release from Addictive Habits (well, I can think of 10 or 12)
  • Profound and Deepened Awareness of your Personal Power and the Effect you have in the World (I'm a skeptic... and I very much doubt this. I will, however, give it a go)

I must admit I've just ravished my lunch failing to take a picture.


You can imagine it looked like this, without the good and tasty parts.

I'm joking, sort of... I had a cup of barley with oven roasted broccoli and asparagus with an orange sesame vinaigrette. It wasn't that bland to be honest, but I was so hungry from my fruit fast yesterday that I scarfed this down with reckless abandon. For dinner, I'm sticking with fruit (nectarines and pineapple) and have already consumed 2.6 litres of unsweetened, decaffeinated iced blueberry and ginseng tea. I'll likely have had around 5 litres by days end.

My biggest struggle so far has been not having a glass of wine after work last night along with the obligatory Diet Coke first thing this morning. According to Ms. Freston, this could be a chicken and egg thing. Her first chapter deals with coffee withdrawal and while this is not a problem for me as a non-coffee drinker... I do rely on a steady stream of that heavenly caramel nectar we know as Diet Coke. She asserts that soda consumption (at least, the caffeine part in this chapter) alters central nervous system activity and therefore leads to changes in dopamine production.

Essentially, the upswing we feel under the influence of caffeine is false and we (the consumers) tend to compensate for the prolonged effects of caffeine by searching for relaxation inducement. Enter the Good Ole' Vino.

Take away the formula... and we're.... home free?

Well, I'm not sure about that, but I feel okay today. Other than being especially hungry for lunch (missed breakfast- no time in my morning), I feel pretty bright eyed and bushy tailed.

Today's meditation is Lean In:

Kathy wants us to find a quiet spot to sit or lie down and close our eyes (yes, I'm including you in this too...). Repeat the following phrase a few times: I am leaning in. Apparently, this will gently, but firmly plant the idea that we are beginning a process that will reward us in all dimensions.

Ok Kathy... I'll do it, but it'll be in bed and I will be very, very ashamed.

Slainte!

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment